Week 1: Music in Global America

Music In Global America
Week 1: What is the global in American music?
-Integrating migration with music and culture.

https://brooklyncollege.zoom.us/rec/share/7O5aMov1qTxIa7fx43_ZUYx4B6vreaa8hycX8vMEyEadAOEH0ctPAiHIehTiahcl?startTime=1598540507000

8/27 Course overview, geographic scope, syllabus, expectations, etc.

9/1 W. E. B. Du Bois, excerpts from The Souls of Black Folk; Nahum Dimitri Chandler, X: The Problem of the Negro as a Problem for Thought, Toward an African Future–of the Limit of World; & Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia

https://brooklyncollege.zoom.us/rec/share/mZu0wujpP0DQMwygW7RQXOjyDEL4O9p8EZFGsqvJ-ZWFRoCrdCvGWaPbreFySt2u.xgO-maqU1hPAOelJ?startTime=1598971900000

USE THE SAME PASSWORD I EMAILED YOU LAST THURSDAY

“Now I put myself in the position of someone else’s reason which is independent of myself
and external to me, and regard my judgments, along with their most secret causes, from the point of view of other people. The comparison of the two observations yields, it is true, pronounced parallaxes, but it is also the only method for preventing optical deception, and the only means of placing the concepts in the true positions which they occupy relatively to the cognitive faculty of human nature….But the scales of the understanding are not, after all, wholly impartial. One of the arms which bears the inscription: Hope for the future, has a mechanical advantage; and that advantage has the effect that even weak reasons, when placed on the appropriate side of the scales, cause speculations, which are in themselves of greater weight, to rise on the other side. This is the only defect… and it is one which I cannot easily eliminate. Indeed, it is a defect which I cannot even wish to eliminate.” -Immanuel Kant, 1766

“Parallax”. Oxford English Dictionary (Second ed.). 1989. Apparent displacement, or difference in the apparent position, of an object, caused by actual change (or difference) of position of the point of observation.